Canada, Canada, Canada .
full-time . September 11, 2023
Canada, Canada, Canada .
full-time . September 11, 2023
This is a 100% remote opportunity based in Canada with JAR Audio. We are seeking an experienced Audio Editor to contribute to our creative branded podcast projects. The Audio Editor will report to both our Technical Director and Chief Creative Officer.
This is a full-time Audio Editor contract lasting a minimum of 6 months, with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time permanent position.
WHO WE ARE
We produce original podcasts for brands to elevate dialogue and drive results. Our recent clients include Amazon, Cirque du Soleil, Staffbase, T-Mobile, Genome BC, American Express, Royal Bank of Canada, and more.
We take an audience-first approach. We believe podcasts are a perfect medium for a brand to engage with a new or current audience. We collaborate with our clients to uncover who their podcast audience is, what they care about, and how a podcast can deliver value. We root our podcasts in this strategy to provide value.
We’re a fully remote team that works with audio experts worldwide. At JAR, we’re proud of the team we’ve built, a culture that supports each member to speak up and keeps us on our toes, challenging us to raise the bar higher each time. We are building a team of independent thinkers and leaders who are not afraid of trying new things.
WHO YOU ARE
- JAR Audio is looking for someone with 2+ years of experience in podcasting, from recording, editing, and mixing, to mastering.
- You feel confident in a virtual recording studio and are able to control sound quality throughout the session. You are comfortable interrupting a session and giving direction to the host and guests when necessary and are committed to always getting the best sounding audio from them.
- You are an expert in editing and mixing multitrack dialogue, audio repair/noise removal, and selecting and sequencing appropriate music.
- You have a “big picture” approach with an aptitude for detail.
- You possess remarkable task-prioritization abilities and time-management skills; you will be expected to work on several episodes and projects with overlapping (staggered) production schedules.
- You are willing and capable of quickly catching on to new tools and platforms.
- You are a great team player who knows how to work collaboratively and effectively, in order to help deliver the best possible audio experience.
- You are capable of working under pressure while preserving your tact and sense of humour — the world of podcasting should be fun, after all ;)
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- You will work with our Executive Producers and Producers to develop and deliver episodes in line with the show’s creative direction. This includes:
- Recording guests and running sessions virtually via Riverside.fm
- Knowledge of Mac + PC I/O and audio settings
- Technical troubleshooting during remote recording sessions
- Creating projects in Descript
- Importing episode rough cuts from Descript into your DAW
- Editing dialogue for filler words and pacing
- Expert noise + echo removal via iZotope RX, Waves WNS, or other plugin suites
- Mixing and mastering podcast episodes (-16LUFS, ~4LU, -1dBTP)
- Curating a musical palette for shows from our music library
- Cutting music into loops as needed
- Creating immersive sound design (show dependent)
- Acting on producer and client feedback
- Uploading and scheduling episodes for release
- Exporting episode clips for Audiograms
- Liaising with Producers, Project Leads, and the Executive Producer (they are there to support you!)
- Communicating any developments which affect schedule, communications, scope, and/or deliverables
- Joining JAR editorial calls (internal team)
- Ensuring high-quality creative standards and project goals are met in a fast-paced multi-stakeholder environment
- Assisting Technical Director in executing agency and departmental tasks to support efficient operations and achieve project goals
- Most importantly, delivering amazing sounding podcasts!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Dialogue editing experience is a must
- Noise/echo reduction and audio repair experience is a must
- Podcast mastering experience is a must
- Ability to lead creatively and attentively. We’re looking for someone with creative confidence and instincts to elevate our shows
- Familiarity with essential tech tools: Slack, Google Drive, Descript, etc.
- Proficiency in verbal/written English
- French or multilingual proficiency is a nice add-on
- Experience in another podcast agency is a plus
- A passion for podcasts!
CULTURE & BENEFITS
- Remote Flexible Work: This role is a fully remote position; you can work from anywhere, anytime. Our main business hours are 9-5 am PT Vancouver, as long as you’re available/online during core business hours (i.e. 8 am-4 pm PT, 10 am-6 pm, etc.) we'll work with you to create a schedule that is best for you.
- Career Growth: We are invested in watching you grow. We offer lots of training and opportunities to develop your career and we will do everything possible to turn your part time contract into full-time employment. There’s never a guarantee, but we’ll work together to set you up for success.
- Team-building Events: Remote life doesn’t limit us from socializing. Our agency Social committee create quarterly virtual block parties/events and seasonal celebrations, we love to catch up with each other regularly.
- Committed to the Community: JAR donates annually to different non-governmental organizations on behalf of its team and clients. We’re committed to giving back to the community and getting involved in social projects.
FULL-TIME POSITION SALARY (ONCE UNLOCKED)
CAD $50k-60k commensurate with experience.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criterion. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
Reach out anyway. We’re an equal opportunity employer dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life. We hire based on talent, and we’re proud of our global perspective.
Think you would like to work with JAR?
Our teammates help make JAR Audio a great place to work, and we are excited to get to know you.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Please ensure to add your time zone and location to your resume.
- Please link previous podcast work and/or dialogue specific audio work.
- Immersive sound design experience is a MASSIVE plus — if you have a reel, please include it!
- BONUS POINTS! Attach a 320kpbs MP3 with a brief self-recorded introduction message, including an interesting fact about yourself (max 2-minutes). Mastered to -16LUFS, roughly 4LU-ish range, -1dBTP. (If you are a little off -16LUFS, that’s okay!)
- 2x BONUS POINTS - WOW! Include your best sound design of catching lightning in a bottle as the finale to your introduction.